Here are the best lower back exercises with weights which strengthen your lower back and spine. You can perform a lower back exercise at home with just dumbbells and barbells and reduce a risk of injuries by strengthening it.
Strong muscles of the spine and lower back not only guarantee the additional protection of the torso when performing a variety of exercises, they are just as important in the formation of such a desired and courageous “triangular” shape.
Short anatomy of lower back
Deep back muscles consist of long, short and subvertebral bundles. The three largest long muscles are marked in the figure. All three are located on both sides of the spine and stretch from the nape to the coccyx.
The iliac-rib muscle (Iliocostalis) is located farthest from the vertebrae, the longest muscle (Longissimus) is located in the middle and the muscles of the spinal column are located exactly in the middle of the back.
Each muscle consists of several muscle bundles: close to the skull, located directly on the neck, lying in the middle of the back, located at the bottom of the back. All of them are responsible for the protection and movement of the spine.
Lower Back Exercises with Weights
Here is the 6 exercise for lower back with weight as well as with weight.
1. Deadlift with dumbbells
This exercise is one of the most popular for training the lower back muscles. All major muscle groups of the back are also involved. Spend a time for the warm-up to prepare the muscles and ligaments for the power load. We are straight, we place the feet slightly. The dumbbells are located near the lateral part of the hips. Torso we lower forward, knees thus slightly we bend. Begin tilting down, touching the dumbbells with your feet. Dumbbells move from the feet to the hip joint. Straightening your back, do not throw it back excessively. The back should be flat and preserve the natural anatomical curves of the spine. We do seven exercises at a measured pace. Over time, you can increase the number of approaches, focusing on well-being. If you are a happy dumbbell owner, check out the 6th most effective back exercises with weights.
2. Good Morning exercise with straight legs
- For safe performance, use the squat rack. Establish the neck at shoulder level.
- Place the neck behind your shoulders. The back is bent in the lower back, the shoulder blades together, the knees at an angle of 60 degrees
- Take a step back from the counter. The legs are shoulder width apart, and the head is raised. This is the starting position.
- On inspiration, bend in the lower back, pulling the pelvis back. As the exercise is completed, the upper part of the trunk should become increasingly parallel to the floor. Thus it is necessary to keep a straight backbone.
- On exhalation straighten, returning to the starting position.
- Do a few repetitions of this exercise and start with a weightless bar and after that slowly increase weight.
Do not practice this exercise if you have pain or other problems in the back and lower back. Keep your back bent at the waist throughout the exercise, otherwise, you will injure your back. If you have not decided on the weight, take the smaller one. Exercise trains the lower back, hips and buttocks.
3. Good morning in sitting position
- Put a bench in the power frame. Adjust the height of the racks. Place the neck on your shoulders. Raise your elbows forward and bring the shoulder blades together.
- Remove the bar from the posts, take a step back, kick the back in the lower back. The head should be raised. Take the pelvis back, straining your back and shoulders, sink to the bench. This is the starting position.
- Put the neck on your shoulders, lean forward as soon as you can.
- Hold in this position for a few seconds, and then straighten up, returning the trunk to its original position.
The exercise develops the lower back and the muscles of the buttocks, it requires a bar from the equipment, it is suitable for athletes who have accumulated certain experience of training.
4. Deadlift in the power frame with the expanders
- Install the bar in the power frame. Attach the expanders to the upper post, and attach them to both ends of the neck.
- Stand under the neck. The feet are narrower than the width of the shoulders, bend over. Take the neck of the middle grip, bring the blades together. You can use a reverse or mixed grip.
- Inhale and squat, pulling the pelvis back. Let the shins touch the neck. The head is straight, the back is bent in the lower back. Raise the bar, straightening the whole body.
- At the moment when the bar of the bar is above the knee level, pull it up, leaning back. Do not forget to bring the shoulder blades together and put the pelvis forward.
- Lower the bar, bending at the waist.
Exercise affects the lower back, abductors, adductors, hips, calves, quadriceps, buttocks. Special equipment power frame, rod.
Excellent work out the muscles of the back-straightening trunk, lumbar and widest. We will consider only one of 6 different types of bars. We kneel, resting on the palms and elbows. Elbows form a right angle. Legs alternately straighten out and rest on the floor with socks. Our body thus forms a straight line: the bar. We keep this position for a few seconds. Alternately, we fall on one, then the other knee. Exercise is performed by strong muscle tension, so after each approach, a relaxation period is recommended. It should be twice as long as you have performed a plank. We breathe calmly and smoothly, we carry out all movements smoothly.
The exercise of this exercise plays an important role in the development of the muscles of the lower back.
Hyperextension is a good basic exercise for beginners and a good warm-up exercise before training the back muscles by professionals (for example, before performing deadlift).
Straight back muscles are antagonists of abdominal muscles. For this reason, we recommend that you train the muscles of the back and abdominals proportionally.
As an extra weight, you can hold your hands behind the head of the pancake rod.
Always consult an expert or your personal trainer before performing some new exercise, because you don’t want to injure your lower back. If you already suffer from some lower back pain consult a doctor before doing any lower back exercise. Don’t overdo any exercise as this may lead to injuries of the lower back.