Here are the best oblique exercises to get fully develop abdominal muscle. Learn to do the best exercise for oblique muscle and reduce love handles without injuries.
For the development of the lateral press and the characteristic V-shaped line of Adonis in the lower abdomen, oblique abdominal muscles are primarily responsible. They form the corset of the musculature of the body, influencing not only the external form of the body but also the strength indicators in many exercises.
Since the inner and outer oblique abdominal muscles are the largest muscle group from the entire musculature of the press, they are involved in varying degrees in the performance of almost any exercise on the press, and not only with lateral inclinations to the side, as many mistakenly believe.
The rules of cardio training for the successful burning of fat on the abdomen and increasing the relief of muscles. Cardio for weight loss.
Anatomy of the oblique muscles
The oblique abdominal muscles are divided into two groups, the internal and external. The external oblique abdominal muscle is the largest and most visible in the musculature of the press, whereas the internal oblique muscle is in most cases invisible since it is directly under the external one.
The function of the oblique muscles of the press consists in providing lateral turns, when turning to the right side, the right side of the internal oblique and the left part of the external oblique muscles of the abdomen are involved. In addition, the lateral press is responsible for flexing and turning the spine, as well as for lifting the pelvis.
7 Best oblique exercises
The best for involving the oblique muscles of the press in the work are exercises that combine the static tension of the rectus abdominis muscles and the movement due to the oblique muscles, first of all, various lateral twists and lifts of the legs with a turn.
1. Side abs press
The basic exercise for oblique abdominal muscles is lateral twisting lying. Starting position: lying on the side, the arm bent at the elbow supports the head. Slowly, elbow your legs, making movement by consciously reducing the oblique muscles of the abdomen.
2. Side abs press lying
This exercise is designed to develop a neuromuscular connection between the muscles of the press and the brain. Lying on your back, slowly stretch your elbow with your left hand to your right knee. Perform 12-15 times for each side, trying to achieve a characteristic burning sensation in the side press.
3. Side abs press on the fitball
The value of this exercise on the press lies in the wide amplitude of movement achieved by the slow and controlled inflection of the body on the ball. At the moment of lifting, feel the twisting of the side press, at the time of descent, stretch. Keep your hands behind your head and do not spread it in the sides.
4. Cable russion twist on fitball
Lying on the fitball, grasp the handle of the block with both hands. By engaging the oblique abdominal muscles in the work, start slowly withdrawing this handle in the opposite direction. Stay at the final point of the exercise for 10-12 seconds. Perform 7-10 repetitions with an average working weight.
5. Cable wood chop exercise
Holding the handle of the block with both hands, make a chopping movement from top to bottom, turning the body. As you turn even more strongly bend your knees and pull the handle of the block to the foot, which is farther from the block. Keep the oblique abdominal muscles tense and do not tear your feet off the floor.
6. Hanging knee twist
During the exercise, do not swing the body, helping yourself with inertia. Raise the legs to perform on exhalation, lowering – on inhalation. The speed of execution must be at the rate of movement. Make sure that the muscles of the side press, and not the hips, perform the work.
7. One arm cable press
By increasing the amplitude of motion in this exercise, the widest will receive additional stretching, and oblique abdominal muscles, an additional reduction. Watch the position of the head and shoulders, not allowing the chin rest on the chest. Keep your head in line with your spine.
8. Dumbbells side bend
Starting position, legs shoulder wide and back is even. Hold a dumbbell in one hand and another hand at the back of the neck. Now lean the opposite side of the dumbbells and then return back. At first, it is not necessary to abuse the exercise and take less weight.
9. Side plank
This exercise, which develops oblique abdominal muscles, is quite difficult for beginners, but a very effective exercise for the entire body. Because of the stress, the side press is considered very productive.
We rely on the palm and the side of the foot. The palm is strictly under the shoulder, the entire body is taut and stretched into a string. We make sure that the waist with hips do not sag down or bend upwards. We stay in this position for as long as possible, first from 20 seconds, gradually bringing the time to 2 minutes. Repeat on the other side.
The seven most important exercises for the development of oblique muscles of the abdomen and strengthening the muscles of the body. All about how to achieve the lateral lines of the lower press.
Mistakes in training
The most common mistake in training the oblique muscles of the abdomen is the use of additional weights during the exercise. The pumped oblique muscles of the press extend the waist, visually reducing the chest and shoulders, in the end, this makes the figure less athletic.
Remember that exercises with weights are more effective for working on the rectus abdominis and creating cubes. The oblique abdominal muscles require an average and a high number of repetitions of twists performed at different angles and other exercises with body weight.
Oblique abdominal muscles are the largest muscle group of the body, forming not only iron ab but also providing support for basic exercises. The key to the development of these muscles is various variations of lateral twists.
Importance of training oblique muscle
A beautiful figure means a flat belly and a thin waist. This statement is true for everyone, so doing exercises on the oblique muscles of the press is useful and important for both men and women.
However, in the pursuit of a harmonious body, gym attendees often forget to do exercises for the oblique, and in fact, they help to form the perfect silhouette.
The desire to thoroughly work out the press is commendable and leads to noticeable results, therefore it is important to give full attention to the entire abdominal area.
The oblique muscles of the press perform two important functions:
- Aesthetic: The lateral muscles form a beautiful silhouette, create a strong, tightened torso (sagging folds on the sides of the body nullify the whole effect of the press cubes), visually draw the figure, and in women also become the pledge of a thin waist.
- Supportive: This function is important for the body as a whole because sturdy oblique muscles support the spine according to the principle of a natural corset and directly affect human health.
In everyday life, the oblique muscle is almost not loaded, and the depth of its location does not allow you to work on it together with other muscle groups. So, you have to work specifically on this area.
Exercises on the oblique muscles of the press give their results!
During the training of the oblique muscles of the abdomen:
- The figure becomes strong, tightened and slim.
- Under the condition of proper nutrition and due load on the entire body, the oblique disappear, the folds are eliminated, the waist region loses fat.
- As a pleasant bonus, a good posture appears, the whole body becomes harder and stronger.
- The whole complex is performed as a whole, and is divided into parts.
- When you include the complex in the training program, do 3-4 exercises per workout, changing them from program to program, this eliminates the addictive effect, and the muscles will constantly be in a tonus.
- Before training starts, do an active warm-up for warming up and light joint exercises.
- After classes, mandatory stretching is important, it fixes the effect of training, helps to reduce pain and forms the right silhouette.
- When doing any exercises on the muscles of the press, it is important to exclude food 1.5 hours before classes and within 1 hour after. A glass of water is recommended to drink no earlier than 15 minutes after training.
- In order for the effect of strength exercises to affect fat burning, more vegetables and protein products should be included in the daily diet, and refuse high-calorie muffins and sweets.
- Daily training will not bring results because muscles need to be restored.